Twitter Banner Evolution

Social media is apparently a great way to network and display one’s skills.  I’ve never sourced work through it but I do like to play around with my various social media account banners from time to time so show my skills or align the imagery with current little projects I have running.

Here’s my historical twitter banners.

 

Quick and nasty photomanip

Last weekend I attended a race where I had my coach take a photo of me from a low angle.  This gave me a photo that would be suitable for a “hero image”.

I cut myself and my bike out of the background with Photoshop’s pen tool, duplicated this layer several times, added a mask or two, changed some layers to black and white, changed the layer properties, levels and what not, whacked in a background image of some clouds, rendered some difference clouds for some quick and nasty lightning, adjusted the background colours to mirror those in my bike, blurred it a bit, flattened it then whacked it up here.

Cutting the background out took the longest.  I tend to make lots of little clicks, rather than using smooth curves when doing this, but I am tying to improve my workflow there to speed things up.

In other news, it’s crit season again so I am at races at times when I am not racing, but others are so I’m practicing my action photography.

 

Delayed activities

Ever since I first bought a computer and a scanner, I’d been planning to improve on my sketches from the late 80’s and early 90’s. The scans have been on disc ever since the 90’s, but I’ve only recently “got around” to fixing up the line art and getting started on some colourising.

The pen tablet I bought a few years ago helped with the line art tracing.  As I had some quite “unproductive” time today, I got stuck into adding colours to some of my sketches.

I figure this is a good way to practice adding colour to line art and I may look into some different styles of colouring, or even convert the line art into different styles for the same picture.

“Discount” Rates

This month I appear to have been working on the cheap.  Towards the start of the month, I conducted bicycle maintenance work for a friend of my house mate.  This involved changing overa cluster and chain, checking the gearing and fitting new handle bar tape. For this I charged 6 blocks of 220g Cadbury chocolate. 3x dream, 3x peppermint.

A couple of weeks ago, I designed an event flyer for $15 – the cost of race entry to the event.  I did that as I was feeling generous on the day of the request and had nothing better to do. The task was also good to learn a few more Illustrator techniques.

Towards the end of last month, I was approached by my cycling club to design a flyer for a safety initiative the began.  For this one, I gave the option of a no frills flyer for $250, or one where they get 3 versions and get to choose the winner for development for ~$600.  They went with the no frills version, and I got the signed contract and paper work back at the start of the week so worked on that one evening.  I’m not happy with a couple of design aspects of this one, so it’s into a drawer until the weekend when I can look at it with new eyes.

Last week I was contacted by an ex regarding designing some wedding wrapping to specification.  I did that over the course of two nights and learned how to use Illustrator to produce the style of graphics I wanted to use when I designed my World Track Championships poster last year.  This work borrowed heavily from the supplied artwork’s background, but they appear not to be unique so no copyright issues there (and if there are, Mr. Original Designer, let me know).  For the wrap, I asked for some chockies (either the aforementioned 22g blocks or a toblerone or two).

Today I was asked if a student working in a lab where they wear a t-shirt design of mine could have a digital file of he design for a promo.  For that, I have asked for payment in the form of a plug for the designer (me) and some chockies.

 

A freebee for my Cycling Club

In a month of so my cycling club is having a social event and the plan is to have a couple of photo booths there.  I agreed to come up with some artwork that would be 180x200cm in size approx.  One for the guys and one for the gals.  I’ll whack up the male version when that is done.

Lots of economizing on what I did here once the main character was drawn. Some copying, some flipping, some repositioning as well as use of some jersey designs I’d previously created.

So, here is the one for the gals.  I need to figure out where I can get this printed on the cheap now.

Baw Baw Cocktail Classic" Photobooth Art 1

“Baw Baw Cocktail Classic” Photobooth Art 1

Save

Save